MSFT-Amazon-GAE: and the future is?
Amazon = big iron in the cloud
Amazon offers 'instance-centered' cloud computing. you pick the OS, you fire up the instance, you config it just the way you like; whenever you like; as many as you like. it's all about the 'virtualization' of hardware. you can see this approach when you look at the various products offered by Amazon:
- Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2)
- Amazon SimpleDB
- Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3)
- Amazon CloudFront
- Amazon Simple Queue Service (Amazon SQS)
Microsoft Azure = enterprise software in the cloud
Microsoft Azure Services is all about the software and (in some form or another) multi-tenancy. to MSFT, the cloud holds all your code and data and gets it to wherever you are. who cares about the hardware; you want to control your software. you see that in the list of silos provided by MSFT;
Note that Microsoft lists two pure software plays (Sharepoint and dynamics CRM) as 'part of Azure.' a clear indication that this is about software; esp. enterprise-level stuff.
- Windows Azure
- Microsoft .NET Services
- Microsoft SQL Services
- Live Services
- Microsoft SharePoint Services
- Microsoft Dynamics CRM Services
Google App Engine = the cloud
with GAE, it's simple. you get basically one thing - "The Engine." and it's implied that the 'engine' you are getting is the one the powers the Web. there's only one offering; one sign-up account; one programming environment; one data model; one thing - the cloud itself. when you sign up for your Google App Engine you get it all:
- dynamic web serving, with full support for common web technologies
- persistent storage with queries, sorting and transactions
- automatic scaling and load balancing
- APIs for authenticating users and sending email using Google Accounts
- a fully featured local development environment that simulates Google App Engine on your computer
two of these models look like old wine in a new bottle.
one looks like a new way to think about applications.
i have a hunch i know which one of these three has a brighter future.